If you are reading this blog, chances are high that you have got admission to one of the Indian institutes. Now, you are this close to start your journey in India, so lets cross this final hurdle and lets get you started. Complete this process and India is all set to welcome you its land.
The All-important passport - Yes, the passport was not required when you were applying to Study in India but once you have got admission to an institute, the passport will be required without fail as you will need it for the VISA purposes. Student visas are granted to people who wish to come to India and study at an officially recognised educational institution.
If you have a passport, great but if you don’t have a passport, go to the nearest passport office of your country and apply for it right now. Passport can take 3 days to 30 days to arrive; therefore applying for it right now is a good idea. Remember that without a passport you won’t able to come to India, which will result in failure to admission to an Indian institute.
Get a Passport anyway - Even if you are not sure or have not received the result yet. We would still recommend you to get your passport made as it is the basic proof of national ID which will be required when you are traveling overseas anywhere in the world.
What is Visa – VISA is permission on document granted to a student by the Embassy of India, which officially permits him/her to pursue an education in India. Student visas are granted to people who wish to come to India and study at an officially recognised educational institution. However, one needs to apply for a research VISA if applying to a Ph.D. course. No student is allowed to come to the country without obtaining a VISA from the Indian embassy in his or her respective country.
Eligibility - Indian Missions/Posts grant a student visa for a period of five years or for the duration of the course of study, whichever is less, to the below:
• To foreigner students coming to India to pursue regular and full-time academic studies in India.
· The student should have a valid passport which does not expire during the period of Education in India.
• Applicant should have the proof of admission to a full time regular academic course in a reputed/recognized educational institution in India and evidence of financial support.
• The applicant should also possess have a "No Objection Certificate" from the Ministry of Health in case of admission in medical or Para-medical course.
• Spouse and dependent family members accompanying the applicant must apply for an Entry Visa (Not Tourist Visa. Its termination date will coincide with the period of the principal Visa holder.
How can i get my Visa – Once you have a proof of admission to a full time regular academic course in a reputed/recognized educational institution in India. You can download the form from the web site of the Indian embassy in your country. Once, you have downloaded the form, you have to visit the Indian embassy or courier the physical form to the Indian embassy in your country. For more detailed information you can log on to –
1. Afghanistan - https://eoi.gov.in/kabul/?0208?vs0
2. Bangladesh - https://indianvisa-bangladesh.nic.in/visa/
4. Ethiopia - http://indembassyeth.in/student-visa/
5. Ghana - http://www.hciaccra.gov.in/hci.php?id=Visa
6. Indonesia - http://www.indianembassy.org.np/
7. Syria - https://eoi.gov.in/damascus/?3199?000
8. Sri-Lanka - https://urlzs.com/sE8oR
10. Uganda - https://hci.gov.in/kampala./?0909?000
11. Mauritius - https://hci.gov.in/kampala./?0909?000
12. Kenya – https://hcinairobi.gov.in/pages.php?id=53
13. Bhutan - https://www.indembthimphu.gov.in/pages.php?id=2
14. Malaysia - https://urlzs.com/hyCvr
15. Thailand - https://embassyofindiabangkok.gov.in/pages.php?id=18
16. Nigeria - https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/
17. Tanzania -
17. Tanzania -http://hcindiatz.gov.in/visa.php
Visa fee - Visa fees for student visa is different for all the countries. It ranges from $13 to $118. The VISA fee is to be borne by the student. It usually takes up to 15 days to get a visa. However, it may take up to 1 month in some countries.
Documents required for Visa – You would need the following documents to get a VISA –
• Printout of the filled-in online visa application form completed in every respect and signed by the applicant. [Please note that uploading of the photograph is compulsory]
• 2 recent passport size photographs
• Confirmed admission letter from a recognized University - signed by the International Students Advisor or the College/ Institution in India signed by the Principal. And, Institute should mail the admission letter to the mail ID of the embassy.
• Proof of financial support from a sponsor with documentary evidence showing the availability of the equivalent of 1st-year college fee plus US$ 2,000/- in the bank account. The documents required are - a letter signed by the sponsor, sponsor’s original passport with a copy of the page giving the personal details of the holder. If the company bank statement is being provided, company details linking the applicant to the account should be submitted.
• Such documentation may be subject to verification. Students should verify, in advance, through these sources:http://mhrd.gov.in/ ; https://www.ugc.ac.in/ ; http://www.knowyourcollege-gov.in/ ; http://www.aicte-india.org/ ;
Attach a photocopy of the bio page of your passport.
Note – The eligibility criteria may vary according to your country.
That is it. After completing this procedure, you are all set to come to India. Just pack your bags, prepare your mind, set your heart and be ready to Study in India. We wish you all the best and may the journey unfold new chapters of your life.